The Oak of Tverečius
The oak growing in the town of Tverečius in the district of Ignalina counts several hundreds of years. A temple used to stand in this place once where a sacred fire used to be kept. A senior priest used to live in Tverečius in 1387 after the christening of Aukštaitians. After Christianity was brought into Lithuania he had supposedly extinguished the pagan fires and hammered an oak stick into the ground with his fist. A mighty oak has grown namely from this stick. The oak growing in the place of the pagan altar used to be extremely respected by the locals.
A wooden church was built near the oak in 1501. A parson decided to prune the oak before the Second World War. The top of it was cut down. However, the oak is growing up until down. It has grown to be of 27 meters of height. You can see this solid and mighty oak in the town of Tverečius in the district of Ignalina.